I miss writing.
I miss how we could enjoy ourselves when writing compositions. General Paper has stamped out every figment of imagination and creativity in me. I used to adore writing, so much. I used to write everyday, spend hours on the computer and wane in its white glow and become tired and eye-bagged, but I LOVED it. I loved how we had the freedom to create anything with words. Words are the only thing we have control over at our age. It gave me a sense of pride, that I could construct something that came entirely from my brain. I could invent anything.
Writing was the only thing I really loved. It made me dream. It made me want to be like JK Rowling, Roald Dahl. Writers are the greatest inventors. There were no limits in writing. I could create anything I wanted. I could be anything I wanted. And noone would stop me or mark me down.
I wanted to be a writer, and I feel waves of nostalgia crashing all over me because I know I can't be one anymore.
I detest how GP compositions have such rigid structures. I detest the need for examples, the way we must develop our argument, how we must link back to the question. I don't know how to weave in my personal voice anymore, like how it was so easy for compositions back in Secondary School. I hate the boundaries erected around our essays now, how we must write about pressing issues in society, when all I want to do is dream. I want to create stories that don't have limits. I don't want to be restricted anymore. When I write GP compos, I feel like I'm conforming to an extremely narrow way of writing. There's no way for me to incorporate any style of story-telling. It feels factual, argumentative, disciplined, formal.
Why can't they give us One Word essays anymore? I loved branching out from those and writing anything I wanted. I loved writing compositions so much even though they were exams. GP does widen our view on the world and forces us to expand our general knowledge, but it restricts us, constrains us to a black and white world of writing where we must define key words, state our stand, write our points in separate paragraphs, use elaborate examples to illustrate our points, link back to the question, conclude.
I feel like I've become more narrow-minded after JC. There's no freedom for imagination anymore. My imagination has become nearly non-existent, completely eliminated by the strict structure of GP that determines the way we write. I don't imagine anything anymore. I don't think of anymore plots for stories, I don't read storybooks, I don't dream anymore.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home